Back to the lab again. MFC is for my mother-in-law, who asked me for a bedspread to match the color in her bedroom curtains. She gave me a swatch of her curtains, which remains my steady guide. A little later she gave me a page from a LL Bean catalog with a picture of a quilt.
The catalog quilt was based on triangles, giving me the notion she might like something along those lines. I looked back at some other quilts I’ve made for ideas. This one came to mind:
I am thinking of using this as the basic block. I started cutting and placing triangles, ending up with this:
Hmm … the green floral in two of the center squares and along the borders (a William Morris print from an old skirt of mine) takes the place of the dark brown from the finished quilt above. But I don’t have enough of this fabric for a larger quilt which would require many more blocks. A trip to Salvation Army produces a teal wool skirt, which is cut on the bias. Note to self: if you want to proceed relatively quickly, stay with fabric cut on the warp and weft.
I cut up enough to swap them for the floral and do like the resulting contrast around the perimeter:
How about if I completely replace the florals with the solid….
Hmm again. Makes a good contrast, but the green is a little flat to have so much. Either way I slice it, I will need a lot more than this skirt will provide. Another swing by the thrift shop yields these:
In an earlier post I referred to “stripping the carcass.” Here’s an illustration:
Now I’ve got enough greens. My plan is to repeat this “block” 12 times, resulting in a quilt top close to the size of a queen-sized blanket. This means a lot of cutting. I use a rotary cutter, which makes the process a little faster, but it is still a bit tedious, and, if one is not completely careful, can result in injury. But that’s a story for another day.
Let me finish with a reward to those of you who’ve made it to the end: